RCA'S SUSTAINING CORPORATE SPONSORS
Other Wireless-Related Information for Women & Girls
Websites for Women & Girls Interested in Engineering and Science:
- NEW! Space Gal Website This is another EXCELLENT Website for girls. Emily Calandrelli is an engineer. On her Website are links to Women in STEM, gifts and products for children interested in STEM, and links to other sources of STEM information for girls and children.
- NEW! Career Girl Website This is an EXCELLENT Website for girls. It has with links to various “career clusters” such as STEM, IT, manufacturing, and others. Within the STEM cluster they list 33 specific engineering areas. If you click on the area of engineering that you are interested in (electrical engineering, electronics engineering, aerospace engineering, etc.) you come to a section that lists what this career area is like, what one does in it, education needed, typical salaries, skills you should have, and then at the bottom are a series of female role models. When you click on a role model, there are a series of videos with this person describing their education, career, etc. This site is very comprehensive for young people trying to figure out where to go for their careers, and would also be very useful for parents, teachers, and guidance counselors.
- Engineer Girl Website Explains what engineers do, and has some interviews with female engineers
- Society of Women Engineers (SWE) NEXT Website
- Women in Computing Website
- IT HARE Overview on Engineering Careers (note: some links are broken)
- NEW! Science oriented Website for children
NEW! Ada Lace books A series which centers on a third grade girl who is interested in science, and with her artistic friend, they use science to solve problems. The series is aimed at 6-10 year olds. One of the books (“Take me to Your Leader”) involves amateur radio.
NEW! The Society of Women Engineers (SWE) has a comic book series for girls that introduces engineering in a fun way, called “Constance and Nano Engineering Adventure”
Engineering Universities with Significant Female Student Populations:
The following articles may be of assistance:
Undergraduate engineering programs ranked by cost: College Choice.net: Best Bachelors Degrees in Engineering
(From within this article, under the listing for Georgia Tech, is the following statement: “Of all United States institutions, Georgia Tech’s College of Engineering awards the highest number degrees to women and minorities.”)
Top 10 Graduate Engineering Programs for Women in 2016:
- University of Southern California
- University of South Dakota
- Georgia Tech
- Carnegie Mellon
- Arizona State
- Johns Hopkins
Additional Websites of Interest to Wireless Women & Girls:
New! Website for girls interested in computer programing (coding) [Note: some may find some of the girls’ comments on the site crude]
New! Girls Go Cyber Start-Website for girls interested in cyber security [the programs are sponsored by various states, and include some contests]
New! “Girls Just Want to Be Engineers”, Oceanus Magazine article discussing a visit some girls made to the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute.
PBS review of Hedy Larmarr Video “Bombshell” [warning: full video may not be suitable for young audiences]
See the article about women telegraphers in the AWA Review, Vol. 29 2016, “Telegraph in the American Civil War” by David and Julia Bart, pages 129-131