RCA'S SUSTAINING CORPORATE SPONSORS
Youth Activities Program
The Youth Activities program is chaired by RCA Director Carole Perry WB2MGP and has Richard Somers, Stan Reubenstein, Gordon West and Charles Kirmuss as committee members.
A major event for the committee is to moderate and to sponsor the annual Dayton Youth Forum where RCA Young Achievers, age 18 and below, give presentations highlighting their technical abilities and enjoyment of radio.
The RCA Young Achiever is a youngster 18 and below who has demonstrated technical excellence and creativity in wireless communications. We are always interested in receiving nominations for these talented young people. Please contact Carole at firstname.lastname@example.org to nominate someone as a Dayton HamVention presenter or as a student deserving the RCA Young Achiever award.
We are also always interested in supporting schools, scout groups, and museums that incorporate radio/technology in their programs. Support can be in the form of books, equipment, or curriculum. Please contact Carole at email@example.com for further information.
The Youth Activities members travel across the country to speak at radio conventions, to moderate Youth Forums, and to vet large organizations enlisting our help in motivating and supporting young hams and in introducing wireless technology to school curriculum.
Tax deductible donations specifically to RCA Youth Activities can be made through the Richard G. Somers Youth Scholarship Fund. Please contact Carole at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Many Members see RCA as contributing in a very important way with its Youth Program. Here is what RCA Member and Fellow Tim Jones had to say:
“I have been a Motorola Two Way Radio Service Center for over 45 years. One of our biggest problems is finding young people that want to get into the electronics service field. [emphasis added] So if I can help encourage the youth to get involved then I am all in.
There is just too much playing games with computers and not enough of getting to the meat of how they work and basic radio communications.
However as I try to look to tomorrow I see the people that know and deal with Communications and Electronics are going to be as valuable as our Doctors are today. We have got to sell this because other nations are requiring it and I am so afraid that we will become dependent.”
Donate to Youth Activities
The Richard G. Somers Youth Scholarship Fund was established in 2009, through a generous donation from the fund’s namesake, to encourage and support educational, technical, ham radio and related activities of young people through high school.
Your tax deductible donation to RCA Youth Activities will enhance what the Somers fund started, and would be greatly appreciated. We can accept your donations via Check, Money Order, PayPal or Credit Card. Click the button below for RCA’s donation form and check the box “Youth Activities”:
Magazine Articles about RCA Youth Activities:
- Carole’s summary of her QSOToday Ham Expo Youth Forum – the ICOM Blog, Sept. 2020
- Carole Perry’s Youth Forum at Dayton Ham Fest – CQ Magazine, August 2019
- ARRL Member Spotlight: Carole Perry – QST Magazine, July 2018
- Dayton Youth Forum: 3 Decades of Showcasing Young Hams – CQ Magazine, September 2017
- Carole Perry at Indian Youth Event, CQ Magazine by Carole Perry – CQ Magazine, March 2017
- 29th Dayton Youth Forum and Counting by Carole Perry – CQ Magazine, August 2016
- Promoting Ham Radio to Youth in India by Carole Perry – CQ Magazine, July 2016
- On the Road for Youth Amateur Radio – Mission Critical Communications, February 2016
- Perry Pushes Amateur Radio for Youth Around the World by Sandra Wendelken – Mission Critical Magazine, January 2016
- On the Road with WB2MGP – CQ Magazine, January 2016
- Charting the Future of Ham Radio – CQ Magazine, May 2015
- Reaching For the Stars at the Dayton Youth Forum – CQ Magazine, July 2015
- The Young Hams at Friedrichshafen – CQ Plus, November, 2014
- An Update: From Dayton Youth Forum to ‘Where Are They Now?’ – CQ Plus, June 2014
- They’re Pillars Supporting Scouting and Amateur Radio – CQ Plus, May 2014
- Two Astronauts in Two Weeks: Out of This World – WorldRadio Online, January 2014